Written Jan. 19

Mei,

Your ge ideally prefers not to sugarcoat anything, especially when it comes to people, things and matters that are important to him. I'm not going to dampen any blows here either, and your situation doesn't look good, I'll admit. Columbia, like all other schools, go by the number on the transcript first and foremost. There's no changing that fact, and I'll tell you from experience that it is very likely that this is not going to happen for you. Defeat is a tough thing to stomach, and I understand that very well because I went through this same thing before. I know it's difficult. I know you want to cry - and you can, really, there's nobody stopping you from having a deeply felt reaction.

However, there is absolutely no use in adopting a defeatist attitude just because you encounter defeat. You know me quite well by now, mei, and you know that I'm not a apathetic, cynical, negative, optimistic, or absent-minded thinker. I'm a realist, who takes facts in and tries to go about things logically to deal with obstacles in my way. I want you to be real as well - and not emotional... keep your head level, and don't falter too long off all that determination and desire you always mention in your applications. You're better than that, and by trying to look at this situation in a sensible way, I know you'll feel better than otherwise, and I know a better outcome will come to effect. You need to remember to take care of yourself, because your parents, your friends, and Alex, aren't - at least when it comes to this, yeah?

I don't know what to say to you about Columbia or your GPA, your brother's not in a very cheerful, positive mood himself. These are your conditions to make sense of, and you have to make the choices now as to how to face the facts. Your ge can only try to calm you down and 'stabilise' you so you can make the best of these choices, make the best of sense. All I can say more is that I sincerely, sincerely hope that something miraculous happens to give you something, some path, that you can be happy with. While also hoping for the best, please prepare yourself emotionally for the worst, for me. I don't want you to beat yourself up really badly if things don't go in a direction you'd like. I guess I should've made this point a bit earlier... the GPA thing just came to me as a surprise... I'm so sorry, mei.

You're not a wreck, or useless, at all, Elizabeth. Please fucking trust me, okay? I don't want you to think that, when it comes to anything - your parents, Andrew, Alex, or Columbia. Is that clear? You're doing just fine, and you're doing everything right. It's not the end of the road yet for you yet, so keep striving for a change and don't give up. Keep looking at the road ahead, and you won't stumble over your own feet.

I hope this helps you, mei, 'cause I can barely help myself and I feel utterly miserable at the moment. I wish you all the best in the universe, 'cause it seems that nothing good wants to come and cheer me up. Don't worry about me until you've sorted out the thoughts in your head, and separated it from your heart, okay? Just go get 'em, and I'll talk to you when you're back in New York.

Peace of mind, and love,

Michael

Comments

Popular Posts